Did you ever wonder how the modern ALPHABET came into existence? Want a good history/science project?
This 32 page booklet by accomplished artist/researcher Harvey Kaplan -- better known by his pen-name of "Habiru" -- uses clear illustrations and words, to nicely explain the basics of this fascinating topic! Furthermore, for those wishing to LEARN HEBREW CALLIGRAPHY, a NINE-PAGE "HOW TO" CHAPTER ON THE TOPIC is now also included as part of the booklet!
* The present day Alphabet originated with Canaanite "pictograms" some 3500 years ago...
* The first two pictograms represent an ox ("aleph") and a house ("bet")...
* The Phoenicians who lived in and around the country now called Lebanon -- adopted and refined the Canaanite pictograms...
* The Greeks embellished the Phoenician symbols and added the designation of the vowels: a e i o u ...
* Ezra the Scribe used a 22-letter version of the Hebrew alphabet following return of the Jews from their 586 B.C.E. expulsion to Babylon...
* The Romans added their refinements such as "Majuscule" (capital letters), "Miniscue" (small letters), cursive-writing, and "Uncial" (rounded capitals) -- to come up with versions of today's modern Latin-Roman alphabet/writing.
Page 8 of the booklet shows Habiru's creative approach to explaining the concepts and facts involved:
The "Letters Produce Wisdom"/"Story of Our Alphabet" publication also includes a comprehensive 37-entry bibliography which will assist those interested in further researching this topic.
Finally, here is a sample page from the CALLIGRAPHY CHAPTER located at the end of the booklet:
*********ABOUT THE AUTHOR*********
Harvey Kaplan ("Habiru") is a master at ancient-language calligraphy and etching biblical aphorisms in these languages onto marble. His art career extends over 40 years and includes serving as a long-time participant and former Director of the famous Sawdust Art Festival in Laguna Beach, California.
Habiru's works are currently on display in six of the seven continents of the world!
Here's what Ira Roberts of the Ira Roberts Gallery in Beverly Hills had to say about Habiru...
People of diverse religions and origins have had the pleasure and good-fortune of enjoying and collecting Habiru's works through art shows and exhibits; and we are extremely happy to now make his unique art forms and publications also available through the eBay medium!!
WE ACCEPT PAYPAL, PERSONAL CHECK (10 DAYS TO CLEAR),
CHECK-MAILING INFO AND/OR INQUIRY ANSWERS